Friday, July 15, 2005

CREATING A BABY-FRIENDLY
READING ENVIRONMENT


Many books for babies programs recommend placing books within baby's reach. One in London, Ontario recommends "[p]lacing books in strategic places such as at the changing table, in the crib, and on low shelves near the floor can help make books a natural part of a baby's life" (McFann).

In our house we put a basket in the livingroom filled with board books and picture books. The basket is easily accessible to both our boys, and its presence invites many storytimes throughout the day.

In addition we have a book shelf in the boys' room with all of their favourites--it too is at their level. In the master bedroom we also have a basket full to the brim with board books and easy picture books--just in case a storytime is wanting while visiting other rooms. I've also been known to put the book Once Upon a Potty in the bathroom when toilet training my little rascals. Our car has board books behind the seats for those moments when we are waiting behind a train, in a parking lot, or on a long road trip. I also have chunky little counting board books in my purse for moments when Liam needs something to do--usually when sitting in the grocery cart.

"Children's homes should have children's books in them. Children should be able to ask to be read to, first, before they can talk, by handing the book to a parent, or by poking the parent with a book, or, in the case of my own youngest child, by hitting a parent's newspaper with the book until the newspaper is in shreds and the parent is reading aloud instead" (Robert Needham, qtd in McFann).

I am familiar with these non-verbal requests to read. My youngest son used to pick a book from the basket on the fireplace hearth. He would then back-up across the room until he was sitting on somebody's lap. I think his first word was, "read!"

Question:

(1) What have you seen done to promote reading to infants and toddlers?
(2) Recalling your own experiences as a child or parent, what are some strategies to engage young readers that have not been mentioned in the articles?

4 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Mrs. Corman said...

Ah, I'd forgotten about the "Once Upon a Potty Book". We had that one, too. Isn't it great that there's one version for boys and one for girls. I don't think that I have a lot to add to what you already mentioned here, other than visiting the public library with young children and letting them pick books. I am thinking about an experience I had a few years ago. I was looking for some specific picture books for a course I was taking. They were supposed to be in and on the shelves in alphabetical order (by author), but they weren't. What should have taken me five minutes, took closer to an hour. Why? Little kids had pulled out books and then put them back randomly. Much as I could have used the extra 55 minutes. I thought that it was great that the children had the opportunity to explore books in this way.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, Heather, our shelves at the Whitemud branch have been a little neglected this month as most of our energies turn towards the summer reading program. The other thing to note is that while easy picture books are in the catalogue, baby board books are not. They depend on the children/babies/caregivers enjoying the browsing aspect of visiting the library. Why is this? Do they place less of an importance on board books than picture books? Perhaps their thought is that most board book titles are also published in picture book format.

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) What have you seen done to promote reading to infants and toddlers?
(2) Recalling your own experiences as a child or parent, what are some strategies to engage young readers that have not been mentioned in the articles?

Carol, your examples were too good; there aren't that many more to add! Books are stored (okay, I mean strewn) all over my house. Ensuring they are stored near toys help. Already mentioned is kids seeing their parents or other adults read. As my hubby and I were reading Harry Potter, my daughter sidled up to me and said "I'm going to listen too, because you're talking about my favourite Harry Potter character, Hermione". At my school and many others, we had "Snuggle Up And Read" nights where parents and kids came in their PJs and read together. Then the kids got to do a craft while the parents got a friendly, informal (how formal can you be when the presenter is in her nightgown?) talk and demonstration on how to read to your child. I brought in my daughter as a guinea pig. In my school library two schools ago, we also allowed parents to have their own library card at school. That way, when picking up their child, they could get a book to read to them (not everyone could get to the public library, for a variety of reasons).

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana, I love the idea of the Snuggle up and Read! What fun! You reminded me of a weekly event at my cousin's house. Every Friday night Sharon (the mom) and Bethany (then 4) would get in their pj's and snuggle in Sharon's bed. Daniel (then 2) would have a special time with his Dad. The idea was Private Reading Time. Both Sharon and Bethany read to themselves--it wasn't a read-aloud session. Sharon usually read magazines, and Beth re-read old favourites. Their quiet reading would be interrupted every so often to share an idea, or comment. Bethany definitely loved that alone time with her mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home