Friday, July 15, 2005

WHY READ TO BABIES?

It is not surprising that studies are being done on the effects of reading to babies. The research is saying it's an important activity beyond the 'warm fuzzy' of a cuddle on a parent's lap, or some down-time in a busy day--though that 'warm fuzzy' remains an integral part of the early reading experience. Many people are using the 'Books for Babies' paradigm to promote early literacies, too. The idea is that if we engage children at an early age, they will more likely become avid and successful readers.

The article, From Crib to School: Families Reading to Babies, asserts that infants who are exposed to books feel a "triadic association" with books and reading. What that association means is that infants associate the closeness of nursing/feeding with their mothers/caregivers, that closeness is then substituted with a book. "The book now becomes the source of stories which are associated with close carer presence and comfort. This triadic association between carer, baby and book is established through repetition. . . . If this triadic bonding with books is established during babyhood then the fundamental first criterion for readership [literacy] has been established--stories are for enjoying" (4).

Questions
(1) Do you consider yourself to be a successful reader?
(2) What aspects of your childhood promoted or curtailed your success as a reader?

5 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Mrs. Corman said...

Yes, I consider myself to be a successful reader. My mother read to me when I was young. One of my fondest memories is of going to the public library with my mother and taking home an armful of books. I agree that being read to when you are a baby builds the foundation for you to be a successful reader later in life.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Heather. I read that when a positive association with books is developed at an early age, kids are more likely to be motivated to learn reading skills. Even children who experience difficulties in the early grades are less likely to give up because of that earlier association.

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Do you consider yourself to be a successful reader?

Yes. I spent countless hours reading as a child growing up. I always had to have a book with me, and still do...just in case I have a free moment!

(2) What aspects of your childhood promoted or curtailed your success as a reader?

I had a small collection of my own books as a young child. My mom would read to me. She tells the story of how I would sit down and read with other kids that came over to visit. I couldn't actually read, but would retell the story as I remembered it--an early step in reading.

I saw my parents reading--usually the newspaper.

Reading was always a pleasant experience for me. It was never forced on me.

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Do I consider myself to be a successful reader?

Yes. My mother likes to tell the tale, similar to others in this course, about how I was reading before I entered school and would read to other classes. Her favourite "Diana reading as a toddler" story involved a doubting relative questioning my ability and my mother challenging the relative to bring me a book and I did it. (Now, I don't remember much of my early childhood, so I have to take my mom at face value.) Interestingly enough, I am one of three siblings and she said each one had a different reaction to being read aloud to. I would sit and listen and watch. My younger sister would take the book away from my mom and say "I'll read it myself" and then make up words based on the pictures. The youngest, my brother, refuses to sit and listen to a read aloud. I'm not necessarily suggesting a connection, but in school, out of the 3 siblings, I had the easiest time of school in terms of academics.

Other ways I think my family helped encourage reading (and maybe, therefore, reading success) was that when the Scholastic Book Order flyers came home, my mom and dad always let us order something.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for sharing your personal experiences. I myself was read to a lot, but I was not an early reader--I struggled in the first couple of grades, and it wasn't for lack of trying on my mom's part. She did what everyone suggested--read to me nightly, bought phonics workbooks, and a couple of primary dictionaries (I never liked using them). I never truly took off as a reader until I was in Grade 5 and I started reading Judy Blume books--everyone was doing it and I wanted to be part of the crowd. Summer reading at Grandma's cottage is likely what really hooked me, however. Being given the time and lots of interesting books,like Treasure Island, and the Narnia series made me finally feel like a competent reader.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home